1 quart fresh strawberries, halved
1/3 cup aged balsamic vinegar
3 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 (1 pound) fresh pound cake
1/3 orange or pineapple juice
2 cookies, for garnish
Sugar-Cane sugar, for garnish (demerara)
- In a small bowl, toss the strawberries with vinegar and let stand at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes.
- After the strawberries have marinated, check for sweetness, adding sugar if desired.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, whisk the cream to soft peaks. Add the
vanilla and confectioners' sugar. Whip until stiff peaks. Set aside.
- Slice pound cake lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices.
You will only need 4 slices. Using a 2-inch cookie cutter, cut out circles from
each cake slice.
- Line up 2 high ball glasses and place 1 cake circle in the bottom
of each. Brush cakes with orange or pineapple juice. Add 2 tablespoons of marinated
strawberries and spread evenly.
- Using a different tablespoon, add a large dollop of whipped cream and spread evenly. Add a second layer of cake, pressing down lightly. Brush with juice.
- Add 2 tablespoons of marinated strawberries and spread evenly. Top with a large dollop of whipped cream, spreading evenly.
- Cover trifles with plastic wrap and refrigerate for impromptu indulgence, Keeping
in mind that it will store for up to 2 days.
- To serve, remove and discard plastic wrap. Grate some cookies or chocolate flakes on top and sprinkle with demerara sugar.